Sunday, May 13, 2012

When Life Throws You Lemons, Make Chocolate Cake


This sweet girl, my daughter Shelby, reminded me yesterday of how lucky I am to be a Mom. 
More importantly HER Mom. 
We were getting ready to go to a birthday party for one of her classmates last night and I noticed my check engine light was on. I pulled up my car hood and promptly called my dad, cause isn't that what every girl does when she has car troubles? After some deliberation, I noticed my coolant was completely empty. He said don't drive it. Greeeeeaaaaaat.
Alas, the party was a no-go, but to my shock there were only a few tears. Then Shelby came up with the plan that we could have a party at our house. Since she knew they were having pizza and cake, she decided that's what we should have. So we pulled out cookbooks, found a cake recipe and got to work. 









 
Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup cooking oil
1 tsp almond extract
1 egg
a handful of chocolate chips


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your cake pan. Set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, add dry ingredients and mix. 
  3. Add wet ingredients (except the egg) and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. 
  4. Add the egg and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour into your cake pan. 
  5. Then sprinkle your chocolate chips on top.
  6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes - then test with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it's done! 
  7. Cool cake thoroughly, remove from pan. 
  8. Then add your choice of icing and sprinkles and voila, you're done!



Recipe derived from One Bowl Chocolate Cake  
in the Better Homes and Gardens Celebrating the Promise Limited Edition Cookbook.



No comments:

Post a Comment