Saturday, March 10, 2012

Blueberry Sauce (paired with Lemon Bars)

So here it is, confession time, while I may be a whiz in the kitchen,
I absolutely suck at baking! 
Whew! Glad that's out in the open... 
I rely on mixes in the "baking" aisle of the grocery store to make the sweet treats at my house. One of my favorite brands is Krusteaz. Today I'm making their lemon bars, but I did make a kick-ass blueberry sauce to go on top of them that I thought I'd share with you guys!


 :: Ingredients :: 
2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed 
1/3 cup powdered sugar  
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 
(or just squeeze the juice out of a lemon, that's what I did)
1/4 - 1/2 c. water
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 tsp almond extract

:: Directions ::
  Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. 
NOTE: For the water, measure a 1/2 cup of water add half of it to begin with
and if it thickens too quickly as mine did, add more water
until you're happy with the consistency.
Cook 3 minutes over medium to high heat or until thick
and stir constantly or the sauce will harden up.
Remove from heat; cover and chill.


If you make this ahead of time, like I did, you may want to pop several spoonfuls of the topping in the microwave for 20 seconds or so and then dollop on top of the lemon bars.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment